What Does a Document Based Questions Essay Stand For?
If you are studying AP US History, AP World History, and AP European History, be ready to prepare an essay of unusual format, which is called a document-based-question (DBQ). The majority of learners do not even understand how to prepare for this process, not even speaking about how to write an excellent essay. This type’s assignment will be chiefly to investigate and analyze a historical-based problem or any kind of modern tendency with the help of the presented documents as proof.
This type of writing is unfamiliar to the majority of learners. It leads to worries. All because there are many documents that need to be analyzed and little time to conduct this. Still, remember that nothing is impossible.
In this article, we gathered tips on how to write a powerful DBQ essay. Recommendations for AP History exams are the same, and only documents will vary.
Highlight Time for Preparation
A recipe for success is preparation. Before starting writing your DBQ essay, take some time to prepare for this serious process. You can’t simply start writing a DBQ essay without understanding what you are going to place in a paper.
You will be given approximately 15 minutes on preparations; therefore, below are important things you need to consider during this time frame.
- Study thoughtfully the prompt. During studying a prompt, attempt to comprehend the issue, determine the keywords such as time period, availability of economic, cultural, and social issues, determine the proof you need to retrieve from the provided documents, and think outside the box.
- Do not think about the documents, and it is better to attempt to collect info about the matter you have been assigned. This involves info about the society, the period, or the topic. It will be perfect if you include it in your document-based-question essay while utilizing the provided documents as proof. Attempt to remember everything you studied in an educational institution about the theme in question and enumerate all the appropriate outside info to help you start writing.
- Determine your position. After studying the prompt, some ideas will appear in your mind. You should choose one exceptional viewpoint that you will use in your document-based-question essay.
- Create a temporary thesis. After studying the prompt, create a temporary thesis that will help you utilize the confirming documents.
Let’s Move to Documents
View all documents. You will be provided some historical documents. You should highlight your time to view documents and attempt to identify the central idea in every document, define how they link to the prompt, and how the documents are linked to a temporary thesis. During this process, do not forget to take notes about every document. Check twice that you make notes of the chronology and attempt to investigate the changes.
- Classify the documents into logical sections. Next, after you have viewed all the documents, you should classify them depending on how they will help you solve the prompt issue. For instance, you can classify documents that you require to liken and collate.
- Set out the authors’ viewpoint. Remember that you should maintain your thesis with the documents you have been provided. Consequently, you should certainly comprehend the various authors and their viewpoints. When viewing the documents, attempt to determine the author, his/her viewpoint and attempt to find out the cause behind that viewpoint. This needs to be reflected in your document-based-question essay.
- Create groups. Your document-based-question essay needs to present an excellent comprehension of the different documents you have been provided. You should group the documents, and it needs to be reflected a minimum of two times in your DBQ essay. When making the groups, assure that they all correspond to your thesis. The groups you created need to be capable of presenting the various sides of your argument.
- Extra documents. Pay attention that you will be needed to utilize an extra document except for the ones that you have been given. Check twice your document is related to the document-based-question essay problem given.
- Develop your thesis. This is where you possess more info about all the matters, and you can return to your temporary thesis and attempt to update it so that it covers the matter precisely. Be assured that it is understandable and brief. Next, you are ready to work. We can move to the following part of composing the document-based-question essay. First, check twice to organize your time properly so that you cover all your themes.
View an Outline of DBQ essay
A document-based-question essay, as a rule, has the next format: introductory part, main paragraphs, and summing-up. Let’s consider every section in detail.
Preparing an introductory part for your document-based-question essay needs to start with a short historical context of the period you are needed to prepare about.
The introductory part likewise includes your thesis statement. After the thesis, you should compose a short sentence stating the themes you will discuss in the main section.
During composing your document-based-question essay, assure that you prepare main paragraphs in a logical order. Assure that all your main paragraphs start with a topic sentence explaining what the paragraph is. Be certain that you possess satisfactory paragraphs that discuss the problem enough. In your main paragraphs, refer to the given documents with their headings. Do not forget to add analysis to the given documents when referring to them.
Do not forget to take into account the requirements of the various kinds of AP History DBQ essays. For instance, for AP US History, you will be needed to utilize much outside evidence, although the majority of the citation needs to be based on the provided documents. When we speak about AP European History, you are needed to depend on the provided documents largely.
For direct quotations, be certain it is very appropriate in the given context. Assure that your main paragraphs possess an appropriate reference. We mean when you utilize any document provided or outside source, you need to add its citation. Your main paragraphs need likewise correspond to your thesis. If you desire to receive more points for the document-based-question essay, assure that you distinctly show how the proof in the documents provided, the viewpoint you have selected, and your additional document are united to improve your thesis.
This indicates that the outside document needs to be related to the thesis. Besides, assure that you can prove how great you comprehend the period or happening you have been required to analyze.
This is a really important element of your document-based-question essay. In your summing-up, you should reformulate your thesis and provide a short summary of what you have discussed in the main paragraphs.
We know that you are restricted in time during your exam. Still, we advise you to leave at least 5 minutes to proofread your essay and make concluding edits if needed. Nobody doesn’t like to read essays full of grammatical mistakes. Therefore, check your DBQ essay on the availability of errors and fix them.
Examples of DBQ Essay
Below we prepared several examples of issues for a document-based-question essay.
- Define the causes why a new conservatism grew to fame in the USA in the period 1960 and 1989.
- Define the reasons for the growth of the women’s rights movement between 1940 and 1975.
- Liken and collate the differing attitudes with respect to women’s rights in the USA in the period 1890 and 1920.
Prepare Before Exam Day
Writing an excellent DBQ essay depends not only on your knowledge but also on your physical and mental health. The next tips are wide-spread, still, many learners do not follow them. It can lead to a poorly written essay.
- Do not study at night. Your brain needs to rest too/ Therefore, and it is a good idea to have a good sleep at least three nights before an exam day. It will assist in keeping your memory sharp.
- Cook a tasty and healthy breakfast or lunch. It depends on what time your exam is. Include protein and whole grains in your food. This will assist in keeping blood sugar from decreasing and will not make you tired during the exam period.
- If you think you forget to repeat some material, do not study at night before an exam day. You need to relax instead. Otherwise, you can overload yourself with information and have a mess in your head.
Ask for Advice From Experts
On the Internet, there are many companies who are ready to assist you with your DBQ essay. It is better to place a request in advance in order to have more time to prepare for an exam. Specialists can provide you interesting topics, writing tips, or even write an essay to help you understand the needed structure and format of the DBQ essay.