5 Paragraph Essay: Easy Hints for Smart Students
Writing essays is not easy even for talented poets and writers – working with a word requires from the author not only talent, but also a lot of attention and concentration. The main thing is not just to reveal the topic, but also to make it interesting, trying to grab the reader’s attention from the first sentence.
The secret ingredient of the essay is structure. Owning effective essay writing strategies, you will not reinvent the wheel. In most cases, the student is required to introduce a topic, attach and support three plausible arguments and write a conclusion in the last paragraph. The following tips will tell you how to write a good 5-paragraph essay effortlessly.
What is Five Paragraph Essay?
5-paragraph essay is a standard academic assignment that aims to test the skills, knowledge, and ambitions of a student or a schoolchild. This is an informative presentation with some descriptions of the selected thematic problem. The assignment allows assessing the level of student interaction with the audience.
This type of work reflects the ability to protect own thoughts and theses. It improves analytical skills and trains research skills. Developed skills are necessary for passing tests for graduate students: TOEFL, SAT, IELTS, ACT. The student should argue and sum up the conclusion in one paragraph. 5-paragraph essay implies ensuring the relevance of the topic by the student. He must support the proof, using reliable data and information.
5-paragraph essay outline & formatting
Every standard 5-paragraph essay is based on the following outline:
- Body paragraphs
- References page
Take notes on the used sources every time you cite them. Don’t forget to take notes every time you cite the sources. The next data is also necessary:
- Writer’s name
- Publication city
It is better to format the work while writing. It is also better to leave some time for checking the paper for errors and plagiarism.
How to write a 5 Paragraph Essay?
A good essay cannot be written without a plan. It is necessary to formulate thesis, the main argument. Make sure that each paragraph relates to the topic of your essay. Looking at the outline, you are not distracted by minor details. Thus, the plan helps to focus on the essentials. Each type of essay has its own structural features, which must be carefully studied and known. It is important to “hook” the reader with the first sentences. It is necessary to let him know what awaits him in the work, and what he can learn.
The structure of a standard essay consists of:
- An introduction with a convincing thesis in the last sentence;
- Three paragraphs;
The paragraphs begin with a sentence that include strong argument and proof. Each paragraph contains a separate argument, which is a reference point for the thesis. The paper should include three arguments for or against the problem under investigation. These arguments must prove the thesis.
1-st Paragraph: Introduction
The purpose of the introduction is to put the problem that will be discussed correctly in your essay. To do this, it is necessary to write a few sentences. Use the right words so that the reader can understand the content of your essay. Attract attention and audience interest. Report your arguments in the introductory part of the essay. This paragraph should:
- Consist of 5 sentences;
- Predetermine the whole structure;
- Start with the hook statement;
- Have the last sentence as a thesis.
The hook may appear as a rhetorical question, an amazing fact, anecdote, quote, or real fact. Complete introduction of your essay with theses that will link together the three upcoming points. A clear thesis and a concrete list of facts and ideas will allow the reader to understand all the necessary information by the end of the essay.
In the following paragraphs you should prove your view. A simple statement of your thesis does not make it true. You simply show that you believe in it, but readers need a rationale. Use the “Rule of Three” – to prove your thesis specify at least three main reasons. These three reasons will appear in three paragraphs that form the body of the essay. They explain the details, present facts, real-life examples, statistics, and specific data on three points in the introductory part, which support the thesis. The writer should take the points listed in the introductory section and discuss each of them in one paragraph:
- Start with a thematic proposal that sums up your opinion;
- State your argument. Why are you sure that the topic sentence is correct?
- Provide evidence and proof (facts and statistics) that support your argument.
Body paragraph is ready! The same should be done with the first and second point. It should be understood that the first paragraph provides a scheme for the body paragraphs and eliminates the need to create transitions between sections.
5-th Paragraph: Conclusion
Choose the best ideas related to the research problem. It is necessary to select the best parts, to provide three strong arguments. The last paragraph will be the final. You need to make transitional words to follow from the body to the last paragraph. The conclusion should reformulate the sentence. Think over the possible alternatives and offer predictions for the future.
The conclusion is derived from the main paragraph. This is a generalization of the reasoning from the previous parts of the essay. Indicate in the conclusion only the most important statements. This section should not contain new ideas.
- The latest proposals reflect the direction and nature of all the work. Start with the reformulated statement;
- Recall every supporting proof. It is necessary to paraphrase each main point;
- Do not use quotes in this section.
Complete the argument by listing all the proof in the final part of the essay. Here you can repeat in other words some of the arguments that you used earlier. You should know that the final part is your last opportunity to convince the reader of your reasoning, but do not include any new ideas in the end.
Five-point Grading System
The model below is a special grading system. This information allows knowing grading rubric for every five-paragraph paper. The student should be aware of the fact that certain educational establishments have their own grading rubrics. Nevertheless, this system is the most in demand and widespread. The following five functions are used:
- Determine whether the points are strong enough to support each proof and thesis.
- Assessing appropriate and skillfully usage of transitional words between sections. Did the writer develop a correct plan and did he adhere to the necessary plan?
- Search for spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors.
- There is estimated success of vocabulary use, level of creativity and plagiarism.
- It is evaluated whether the writer was able to substantiate the argument and the topic of the work correctly, logically and briefly.
In order to understand how to implement the listed requirements, look at the free examples of 5 paragraph essays.
Free 5 Paragraph Essay Examples:
Now you can read and analyze an example of 5 paragraph essay written according to the proposed plan. See samples of work on various topics. We have collected the best papers so that you can get acquainted in detail with the structure and format of the work.
5 Paragraph Essay Example
5 Paragraph Essay Tips
Five Paragraph Essay Structure
Five Paragraph Essay Example
Five Paragraph Literary Essay Outline
How to Write a Five Paragraph Essay
20 Brilliant 5 Paragraph Essay Topics to writing
We have provided an overview of the best topics that can be given the student or which he can offer to the tutor himself. Carefully read the suggested topics and select the one that meets several requirements:
- It is interesting to you;
- You understand its meaning;
- You have something to say on the subject.
Five Paragraph Essay Topics for Middle School
- Is it necessary to prohibit selling fast food in educational institutions?
- Is it necessary to cancel uniforms in educational institutions?
- At what age can the child be allowed to stay at home alone?
- Is it necessary to provide sleeping time for middle school kids?
- Why do we need a summer school?
- Is sports necessary as a school subject?
- How to regulate pocket money for middle school kids?
- Is it normal to force a child to do housework?
- What is the school newspaper worth about?
- How does violence in video games and movies affect the behavior of middle school children?
Five Paragraph Essay Topics for High School
- The use of energy drinks is extremely dangerous for health
- The best way to reduce stress in sports
- World Wide Web and radio crash
- It is necessary to prohibit testing of cosmetics on animals
- Exotic pets need to be banned as pets
- Any war is terrible
- Homework should be reduced by college management
- Vaccines entail autism
- Human activity is the main cause of global warming
- How to prevent the extinction of rare species of animals?
- It should be prohibited to sell weapons to the rest of the world
Write A Five Paragraph without stress!
Writing a five paragraph essay is one of the most difficult tasks that students face. It is required to state your own opinion on a particular issue so that the scientific nature of the work is preserved. In fact, the author of the essay has to balance on the thin line between the artistic and scientific style of presentation.
In addition, this type of assignment does not allow borrowing information from books, Internet, periodicals, etc. Only direct quotes are allowed, and then in very small quantities. Unhappy students who do not know how to accomplish this task, go to various tricks, for sample, downloading finished work on the Internet. As a result, they often come across plagiarism and get a great amount of problems with abuses or re-passes. In this regard, 5homework.com is ready to perform a reasonable solution!
Why should you waste your time and make titanic efforts if you can urgently order an essay from professional authors and save your time? It is better to contact a reputable company with a good reputation! Advantages of the urgent work performance in our company:
- We have created a service that fully protects the customer;
- We vouch for the fact that the work will be done efficiently and on time;
- Only experienced authors who are well aware of the subtleties of the academic discipline perform the works. They have practical experience in the subject;
- Our author hands over the initial version to the customer, after which he makes the necessary corrections during the warranty period chosen by you. You will control the entire writing process personally;
- We strictly keep the secret of cooperation between the agency for writing student work and the client.
The ability to order an essay is affordable for everyone. The best experts provide an urgent format for solving problems and the most affordable prices for individual writing an essay. No risk – only 100% result!