Letter of Intent: Definition, Purpose, and Proven Writing Strategies
While some employers are satisfied with a cover letter, others ask to submit a letter of interest during the hiring process. Many job seekers wonder what it is and, unfortunately, can not use this demand effectively. Move with the times. This article explains what kind of document it is and which benefits you can gain from this document. Also, you can review the handy writing suggestions and an example of this letter.
Letter of Intent: Explanation and Purpose
A letter of intent (inquiry letter, memorandums of understanding, or letter of intent) is a document from a job candidate to a potential employer. It states the intention of a competitor to provide the services for this particular company. Unlike a cover letter, it is more position-oriented.
Companies require a letter of intent to select a person that will fit the vacancy ideally. For instance, when there is a need to find the attendants to one department or one project. Human resource managers select professionals according to their resumes. But a letter of intent often helps to share the responsibilities.
Also, an employer gathers letters of intents to keep up the base of freelances and unofficial workers (in case of contract failure or various unpredictable circumstances).
And eventually, a hirer wants to see eagerness, enthusiasm, and passion from people to occupy the job position. Therefore, job candidates with an impressive letter of intent have higher chances to take it. Usually, the market old-timers are satisfied with a cover letter using a letter of intent as a rates grower or mission-focused tool. Younger companies that seek talents pay close attention to inquiry letters and ask to submit them obligatory.
Letter of Intent: Structure
Here is a general template for writing a letter of intent:
- Professional greeting. Receive all necessary information about the employer and include its name in the letter.
- Introductory part. Introduce yourself and demonstrate the reason for your application. If you are interested in a particular job position, indicate it. In case the company is your dream place to work in any post, say so as well. Provide as detailed information as possible about the job position preferences (a particular position or department), but do not settle bordered requirements.
- Professional skills. Depending on the content and its length, this chapter may spread to several paragraphs. To get the desired position, write it efficiently. Study the vacancy carefully, considering all demands of the employer. Select the features that prove your fitting to this position and provide it in the chapter. If you have already got the experience in a similar post, mention it necessarily. When forming a cold call letter, describe all your skills that can be useful for the company of your interest. Better fitting increases the chances to catch the position.
- Call to action. State your contacts or indicate the ways of your applying when the employer invites you to write. Otherwise, say that you are looking forward to receiving the feedback.
- Closing. Finish the letter officially: «Best regards,» «Respectfully yours.» Sign your letter by hand or via program software.
This structure is classic and applicable for any vacancy of any company.
When writing a letter of intent, use the following suggestions to make it shine:
- Express sincere and passionate attentiveness in the company or the vacancy. Instead of cliches «I want this job» or « I am good for this post”, make a bet on the mission, its object of value, and targets.
- Represent your awareness of the activity of the particular company instead of sounding general.
- Mention the unique skills, the experience you possess that can be valuable for the employer.
- Maintain the official style. Include your contacts, date of application, and information about the employer. Omit the data and contact details if you apply by e-mail.
- Write a precise subject line while sending an e-mail. That will prevent losing your message in the heap of correspondence.
- Get extensive information about the company you are going to contact.
- Emphasize the strongest from your resume instead of rephrasing it. Sound persuasive without a long and dull description of your career path.
- Use numerical designation. Bullet points catch attention immediately, focusing on the most significant facts of your biography.
- Be maximally short and precise. One page is quite enough for a letter of intent. Longer text will decrease the chances that the HR manager will read it.
- Proofread the text. Stylistic, grammatical, or punctuational errors will look unprofessional.
Make every effort to grab the attention of the company staff, and they will call you back.
A Letter of Intent: Appliance and Benefits for an Employee
A letter of intent is pertinent when a job seeker is:
- submitting a CV to numerous companies;
- looking for a job in a desirable position the exact company even though there are no matching vacancies yet;
- aware that a company employs new staff without posting vacancies;
- interested in a specific post although a company is searching specialists from other fields;
A letter of intent is beneficial for both sides of the collaboration. For an employee, it supposes the following advantages:
- Enables to initiate the relationship. A letter of intent is a perfect solution to engage with a successful company with attractive working conditions. A letter helps to introduce yourself professionally. Also, it assists in making a positive impression on human resource managers, developing further official contact.
- Contributes to the candidature. Some vacancies are extremely popular and call the interest of many competitors. A letter of intent is your chance to stand out from the crowd and grab the attention of human resource staff during the selecting process.
- Choose your ideal working place by yourself. While some job seekers have been waiting for a proposal, those who use a letter of intent effectively select the best companies. Take an active tactic instead of expectations that a hirer will find you.
Explore all the advantages of your letter of intent to reach the settled goals.
Here is a letter of intent example that you can use for your inspiration:
My parents received a disappointing diagnosis when I was a college student. My father has received a treatment course, but my mother required surgery. Since that time, my life has drastically changed. I did not have a choice but to pause my studies and provide primary care to my parents.
During that period, chemistry has become a significant part of my life. I started to think of becoming physical one day. Meetings with many healthcare providers and professions in medicine have influenced me a lot. They were like heroes to me while they treated my parents. They gave me a lot of knowledge and experience.
Within two years, I have finished my chemistry degree and gained experience in several fields of medicine: nurse man, chemist shop, dentistry, and out-patient clinic. Then I received a bachelor’s degree in chemistry.
My professional motivations are:
- communication with patients;
- competence to help others and make their lives better;
- stable carrier.
Aside from healthcare experience, I worked as a coach after the graduate period. I was proud to transmit the knowledge that I have received to students. I have created a website with my lectures, so students could always have the information even when I am not available.
I believe that my weighty experience makes me a matching candidate for your medical assistant program at the University of Nepal. Meanwhile, I am pretty sure that your program fits my needs excellently:
- it allows focusing my passion on medicine in a careful way;
- following your part-time schedule, I can combine studying and working without facing any choice;
- I have studied the biography of your professors and feel very impressed with your staff. They can give me the knowledge I crave.
Hopefully, my letter of intent provides comprehensive knowledge about me and my skills to make me a perfect candidate for you. Thank you for your rectitudinous perscrutation.
We’ve got another helpful article on how to write motivation letter which we highly recommend you to read as well.
A well-polished introduction that matches the targets of the company is essential for ambitious professionals. A letter of intent allows you to find and use the best opportunities of the professional market. To write this document, you have to do proper research, selection, focusing on the primary information, and omitting the minor one.
When you see a request to submit your letter of intent, use this opportunity: it can be your chance to attract the sharks of business, win a stable life position, and reach your goals.
Although a letter of interest requires writing work, the advantages are numerous. While offering your skills, you can see if the company matches your requirements too. It helps to determine what is necessary for you and which goals you are keen to achieve.
Choosing the job this way increases your chances to find the position that matches the specialization ideally. After admission, your working process will turn into fun instead of making you do something that you can not or do not like. A letter of interest is an effective tool for both sides of the deal. It is fashionable in the modern trade market nowadays. Possessing the knowledge of the impressive candidature offering will make a positive impact on your future career.
Help From Experts
A letter of interest is an issue of vital importance when you desperately need to enter a particular firm or get a long-anticipated job position. Delicious works are in high demand. You have no chance to fail. If you are a skilled specialist, but your writing abilities are fair to middling, we are here to help.
Our organization provides professional writing services. Any writing type is within our scope of abilities. You can trust our letter of interest to our experts to make you look shining in the eyes of an employer.
The advantages of cooperation with us are numerous:
- verifiable information in a business style without exaggeration;
- plagiarism-free text;
- individual approach and custom-made papers;
- stylistic, grammatical, punctuation errors-free text;
- payment after the approval of a customer.
A letter of interest is more than just a test at a college or university. It helps to open the doors to a new life. Complications with writing are not a reason to refuse new opportunities. Gain valuable career experience and improve the overall quality of your life. All you should do is to report your requirements to our staff and indicate the deadline frames. Save your time and strengths for a job interview while our team will write a brilliant letter of interest.